Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Oh! It's vintage!

Hello Blogginistas.

This afternoon I discovered a new appreciate for vintage pieces on Free People. The cost of items & clothing here is quite up there so I resisted my impulses to buy anything. I questioned my mother who I know owns some antiques & has been passed down old pieces of valuable clothing. Luckily she had a few things…& from what I’ve learned my grandmother has TONS of vintage pieces!

I’m proud to say I’m the new owner of an antique trunk as well as a beautiful fur shawl complete with pockets! The actual type of fur the shawl is made from I have yet to find out…but what I do know is that it was owned by my great grandmother…& for being such an old piece of clothing it is in pretty amazing condition! I’m also in the process of doing research on the trunk. I want to say it was made in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s since that’s when most trunks were made. Pretty cool, right? More importantly, it will be my new storage for bags, scarves, & all those other accessories.

So the purpose of my post this week is to find appreciation in vintage pieces. I really want to find a quality vintage store where good pieces of clothing come through. From what I’ve been told, it’s very difficult to find great vintage clothes…& that it takes a lot of time & patience. I believe though, that the hard work put into finding a unique piece is well-worth it. The piece has a history, a story, & no one else will own it!!

While it may be hard to find vintage clothes that are worth wearing, imagine owning something from the 1920’s or 1940’s…or one of those awesome 80’s bands tees! Plus these decade pieces are very much in season for the fall & winter. Talk about a great addition to a wardrobe.

Anywho, what are your thoughts Blogginistas? Do you think shopping vintage is worth the time & $$$?

Love always,

BR

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you found something great from within your family. That really adds value. I inherited a lot of jewelry from my great grandmother, some things even from her grandma! It's great to know that not only am I wearing something totally unique and beautiful, but I'm also allowing the piece to get a 'second life'

    ReplyDelete